Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How much will I save with bathtub refinishing as opposed to replacement?
- Refinishing your bathtub will save you hundreds or even thousands of dollars over bathtub replacement. While a brand new bathtub may only cost $350, there can often be several hidden costs to replacement such as removal and disposal cost, plumbing alterations, and tile work. These costs add up, and you can easily end up spending nearly $3,500 to replace your bathtub.
Q. How long does the bathtub refinishing process take?
- Our refinishing process typically only takes 3- 5 hours to complete. Your bathtub will usually be ready to use within another 2 to 24 hours after that, depending on factors like ambient temperatures, humidity, and which coating you choose to refinish with. Why wait days or even weeks for a contractor to replace your bathtub when you can get the same results in only 24 hours?
Q. How long will my bathtub last?
- The durability of a bathtub refinished by Bathtub Man Hawaii is very similar to that of a brand new bathtub. If properly maintained and no abrasive chemicals are used for cleaning it will last you many years just as a brand new bathtub would.
Q. Does Bathtub Man Hawaii offer a warranty or guarantee?
- While new bathtub manufacturers, like Kohler and American Standard, offer only one year warranties against manufacturer defects, Bathtub Man Hawaii offers an industry leading 6 year warranty for residential work and 2 years for commercial jobs that use our heavy duty commercial grade coating. Most refinishing companies offer industry- standard warranties which are limited and pro- rated, meaning that the warranty’s coverage decreases incrementally over time. Unlike these warranties, our guarantee covers 100% of any defects in workmanship or materials, peeling or other failure of adhesion of the new coating throughout the entire life of the guarantee. The warranty covers bathtubs, wall tile and fiberglass units. A 5 year warranty will be offered for the 2 Hour Poly-Glass Resin and a 3 year warranty will be offered for our environmentally friendly water based coating Eco-Glaze. Warranties of other surfaces and circumstances such as countertops, and previously refinished fixtures vary depending on the job. With your free estimate, we will inform you of the warranty you will be receiving. You will receive a written warranty upon completion of work.
Q. How do I care for and clean my refinished bathtub?
- Refinished bathtubs are often easier to clean than the original product. Make sure you use mild, non- abrasive cleaning products. Just as with a new bathtub, the finish or shine can be dulled by abrasive cleaners. We will provide you with a care instructions sheet upon completion of work.
Q. Will my refinished bathtub look like it has been painted?
- This is a common myth in the bathtub refinishing industry. Your bathtub will not look like it was painted, since the material we use is more like a coating than a paint. In fact, we pride ourselves on the fact that it is quite difficult for an untrained eye to tell the difference between a brand new bathtub and one that has been refinished by Bathtub Man Hawaii.
Q. Will my refinished bathtub smell like it has been painted?
- We will come equipped with full ventilation systems for occupied units to expunge the fumes that do naturally occur with the use of solvents. Although you may notice a slight odor after we are finished, this typically is gone in a few hours. If you choose to use the Eco-Glaze coating or the No Spray Restoration their will be no smell at all.
Q. Can’t I Do It myself with a DIY Kit? Thinking about refinishing your own bathtub?
- Bathtub refinishing is not the best project to Do it Yourself! A good refinishing job on a bathtub should be very glossy, smooth to the touch, and have a uniform appearance just like a new bathtub. You will never be able to duplicate the glossy finish and feel professional refinishing gives your bathtub, sink or countertops with a do-it-yourself bathtub refinishing kit! Would you try to repaint your own car? Refinishing involves many of the same skills and materials used by professional auto body craftsmen. When you consider that 25% of all work performed by Bathtub Man Hawaii is redoing someone else’s attempt to refinish a bathtub, you should think twice before using a DIY bathtub refinishing kit on your bathtub. A good bathtub refinishing job requires extensive preparation, use of special cleaners, bonding primers, fillers for cracks and chips, a highly trained technician using a thousand dollar HVLP system, safety equipment and other supplies with the skill and experience to spray on professional grade, fast drying coatings.You will not get good results from a porcelain repair kit or bathtub refinishing kit, nor will you get the warranted durability Bathtub Man Hawaii offers.
Q. What other surfaces does Bathtub Man Hawaii refinish?
- Besides bathtubs, Bathtub Man Hawaii offers a wide variety of refinishing services for almost any surface in your bathroom or kitchen. Including fiberglass, cultured marble, acrylic, porcelain, tile, sinks, countertops and vanities.
Q. Will refinishing work on my kitchen countertops?
- Our refinishing process works on a variety of countertop surfaces, including laminates, Formica, tile, and cultured marble. It also saves you money; with our Stone- Finish imitation stone finishing system, you can have that natural- stone look for a fraction of the cost of actual stone! Would you like the beautiful look of Granite or the rich look of a stone surface in your kitchen, but without the high cost and mess of installation?
Now you can! We can resurface your existing laminate countertop, giving it an amazing solid surface finish.
Q. Do you repair cracks, chips, and scratches in my bathtub?
- Bathtub Man Hawaii will fill in any chips or other imperfections in your bathtub or other surface prior to the refinishing process, making your damaged porcelain, acrylic, or fiberglass surface as good as new.
Q. Can you refinish a tub that has been already refinished?
- Yes, a tub that has been refinished before can be refinished again. Bathtub Man Hawaii will strip and clean the tub before we refinish it so the old coatings are removed.
Q. What makes Bathtub Man Hawaii’s refinishing process superior?
- The combination of diligent preparation, a proprietary bonding agent, advanced commercial grade industrial coatings and final detailing sets Bathtub Man Hawaii apart from all other refinishing companies. The original surface is always completely cleaned and surface scratches,chips, and rust are repaired and filled. Next, the surface is treated with a unique bonding agent that is the perfect blend of silanes to establish both a mechanical and molecular bond between the cleaned surface and the new coating. Then the commercial grade, industrial strength coating is applied which has been formulated for 24/7 water adhesion in the harshest environments and it provides the greatest surface adhesion available. No other refinishing company uses all of these steps and the one of a kind bonding agent that Bathtub Man Hawaii does.
Q. Where did the refinisher receive his training?
-Bathtub refinishing is a trade or craft that must be learned and practiced for many years. Beware of a refinisher who has taught himself or received training from a video obtained over the Internet or has only attended a training course for several days.There are many bathtub refinishing classes offered where you can learn to become a refinisher in just a few days…. If i was having a new house built i would want the contractor who is building it to have a lot more training than just a few days from some 3 day class he took. The more complete the training, the more likely he will deliver quality work. Unfortunately, this is how most of the refinishers in Hawaii have received their training….. from a 3-4 day class they took. . I have now been refinishing for over 20 years and i put the knowledge and skills to use everyday and still keep learning. Any fool can know, the point is to understand.
Q. Are you a mainland company or a local company?
- We are a locally owned, operated and insured company. I grew up here in Hawaii and understand local traditions and values. I have been refinishing bathtubs in Hawaii for over 20 years now and i still do all of my own work. I do not have technicians with only 1 or 2 years experience refinishing any of our jobs. I have 20 years of training and experience and do all of the refinishing myself. Your satisfaction means everything to me and my company.
Q. Are you a part of or associated with a franchise?
-No absolutely not! I did not want to join a franchise because they only carry one coating and keep using the same old product year after year…. (as most refinishing companies in Hawaii do.) Bathtub Man Hawaii has several types of coating to choose from. We are always searching for the very best product on the market because technology is always improving. It keeps getting better and better each year. We test and compare many of the refinishing products that are available and used on bathtubs, sinks, and countertops. They are tested for gloss, flexibility, impact, adhesion, water immersion, and abrasion, to see if the coatings are impervious or resistant to to dirt stains, acids, solvents, and petroleum fuels. Bathtub Man Hawaii has embraced the upgrade to the next level of industrial strength, commercial coatings and uses only the best in the bathtub, tile, and countertop refinishing industry.
Q. How do I prepare my bath before you arrive?
- Please remove everything from the bathtub (soap, shampoo bottles, towels, etc). Also clear all countertops, back of toilets, rugs and window treatments. If you are having any other work done in the bathroom or kitchen such as new cabinets, flooring, painting, or any other contractor in our house that will use the bathtub to clean out their tools or dispose of their waste water, please have us come in last after their work is complete.